Community Education and Information
With the support of Grays Harbor County Public Health Department we:
- Provide you with up to date information and resource materials such as diagnostic services for Autism or related disorders and enriching community activities such as Special Olympics through our e-bulletins and Social Networking sites.
- Outreach to individuals with disabilities, families and other stakeholders including the Quinault and Chehalis Nations to help navigate the developmental disabilities, local social services and school systems.
- Host meetings of the Disability Movement Coalition to inform and educate the community about what is happening with legislation relevant to people with disabilities including a legislative reception every January.
- Help you navigate your child's educational system by consulting with you about IEP or 504 meetings.
- Help families know what services are available to them by making Community Information Liaisons available for IEP meetings.
- Help you apply for Social Security Disability, Department of Vocational Rehabilitation or SSI.
- Help you apply for Developmental Disability Administration services.
- Expand the community's understanding of people with developmental disabilities through our Awareness events in October and March.
- Work with the Transition council to offer Navigating the Systems (school, State, Federal), I.E.P. & 504 Plans, Financial Resources, Guardianship & Alternative to Guardianship and an annual Life After High School Resource Fair for students in transition to adulthood.
- Category: Community Education and Information
Transition Presentation The Arc of Grays Harbor in collaboration with school districts provides a “Life after High School” Transition presentation for students and their families preparing to exit high school. Representatives from the following agencies strive to participate in the presentation when available; Developmental Disabilities (DDA), Division of Vocational Rehabilitation (DVR), County Developmental Disability Program and Local Supported Employment/Day Program Agencies.
Informational Presentation: The Arc of Grays Harbor provides Informational Presentations to service clubs, advocacy groups, colleges, government agencies and other interest groups. The presentation raises awareness about developmental disabilities, how individuals with disabilities contribute to our community and workforce. The presentation also informs people on the current services and supports available to individuals with disabilities and their familiars as well as where there are gaps in services and supports.