Autism or autism spectrum disorder is characterized by specific behaviors that an individual presents. These challenges are not limited to just social awkwardness. They may include social skills, speech, repetitive behaviors, a preference to being alone, and unusual insistence on routine. Diagnoses of autism usually occur at a younger age with a higher prevalence for boys over girls. (It is four to five times more common in boys than girls). Based on information from the CDC 1 in 68 people in America have ASD. If these statistics hold true for Grays Harbor County, then there would be approximately 1071 individuals with ASD. Despite how common it is, there is nobody in Grays Harbor County, who can diagnose ASD. There are also no qualified ABA therapists in the county. For families that are taking care of a loved one who has ASD their trek for help begins with a long wait and ends with an even longer drive.
Membership has never been easier! We now take credit and debit cards!
On the home page, at the lower right corner, are two PayPal buttons. One is for a recurring subscription, and one is for a one-time membership. You don't need to have a PayPal account, simply click the appropriate button and follow the instructions.
A major purpose of The Arc is advocacy. Your membership with The Arc strengthens the voice used to advocate for services and funding to fill the needs of people with I/DD and their families. It shows that YOU care and think people with special needs are important and need to be heard.
I hope you're having a great week.
- 2015 NAMIWalks Washingtonwill be on June 6th.
- The Summer Expo is Saturday, May 30th from 11:00am to 3:00 pm at the Riverview Center in Raymond.
- The Arc of Grays Harbor hosts parent to parent meetingson the third Thursday of every month. The next meeting will be June 25th at 1:00
- We are also holding a special workshop on rational emotive behavior therapyimmediately following (June 25th at 1:00)
- Behavioral intervention specialists, Basics NW, is holding parent training on the third Wednesday of every month.
- The Arc office will be closed from June 16th thru 19th. We reopen on June 22nd.
- The "Let's get connected" community summit get-togethers are on the first Tuesday of each month. The next meeting will be July7 Prizes and food! Contact the Arc office for details.
- Nothing to do? Have you checked out the Greater Grays Harbor, Inc online calendar?
- The WISE community summitwill be June 16th thru June 18th at the Wenatchee Convention Center.
- Shop Amazon Smileand donate 0.5% to The Arc of Grays Harbor and many other local charities.
- The DSHS mobile customer services office will be at the Ocean Shores Convention Center on Thursday June 11th, from 9:00 to 1:00 pm.
- Washington State's Developmental Disability Council has developed a new Person Centered Planning app.
- Like gardening? The Arc of Grays Harbor is partnering withCultivating Roots, the local youth based program as an element of our intentional inclusion project.
- The spring sports barbeque for Special Olympics of Grays Harbor will be held at the community garden. Volunteers are welcomed! More detail as it becomes available.
- Court appointed special advocates (CASA) of GH is having their annual fundraiser on June 6th at the Aberdeen Museum.
- Keep an eye out for the Arc of the US public service announcement "The Arc Across a Lifetime" on NBC.
- We'd like to thank everyone who made the Sprout Film Festival a success!
It is shaping up to be a great summer!
We offer many networking, skill-building, educational and recreational activities for people with disabilities, but to be successful, we need your help.
You can help in a number of ways:
For those with the time, there are several ways you can help:
Volunteer with fundraising activities, office or other miscellaneous tasks
Volunteer with clothing donation program
Become a trained helping parent mentor
You can donate cash, memorials, and gently used clothing. The Arc of Grays Harbor is a 501(c)3 organization so your donations are tax deductible to the extent allowed by law. Receipts are provided at time of donation.
Membership or partnering with The Arc is vitally important for many reasons. It's more about numbers than money. Your membership shows that you care about people with disabilities and want to help create a better life for individuals and their families. The number of members show legislatures and granters how many people in Grays Harbor share the same concern. The higher the number, the stronger the voice. The proceeds from memberships help fund The Arc programs and services provided to the people we reach out to. It also gives you membership with The Arc at the state and national level. Your annual membership to the Arc of GH is affordable, and now you can pay by credit or debit card online through Pay Pal.